I had the opportunity to attend an Avnet/EMC/VMware/Brocade sponsored for channel partners EVO-RAIL VSPEX Blue BootCamp.
In a nutshell it was all you can drink information from a firehose— about EVO-RAIL specifically the EMC VSPEX BLUE.
EVO RAIL is a new beast of an animal. It is a different breed. No, not in and single dimension you measure. The combination of technology presented is a synergy. Definition: Synergy is the creation of a whole that is greater than the simple sum of its parts.
Yes; you can get the the form factor for compute separately. You can also do the same for VSAN and ESXi vSphere 5.5 and networking. but you cannot get what the entire VSPEX BLUE offering of EVO RAIL provides TOGETHER.
I get ahead of myself.
You have to have perspective to understand where we are today. To me that means if you don’t know where you come from you cannot know where are you today and where you will be tomorrow. It is all relative.
EVO RAIL is a clustered system. It is a Datacenter in a 2U form factor. Not just compute but a modern hyper converged solution.
Sure. Another IT buzzword. Is it just talk? I would say no.
- Compute is way, way faster and more dense.
- Networks are 10 gigabit vs Fast Ethernet 100 Base-T or FDDI Optical rings are no longer the only viable choice.
- Storage is IOPs crazy.
- And add to that the agility of VMware Virtualization!
- 1 GB RAM (128-MB 100-MHz registered ECC SDRAM memory)
- 2 Pentium III processors @550MHz
- 3 NICS (one dedicate for internode communication) 100 BaseT
- 2 RAID controllers
- 218.4 GB (6 x 36.4-GB 1′′ Ultra3 10,000 drives)
- 4 nodes of integrated compute and storage, including flash (SSD) and HDD — 2U
- VMware EVO:RAIL software including VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN), Log Insight
- 128 or 192 GB memory per node
- Choice of 10 Gigabit Ethernet network connectivity: SFP+ or RJ45
- Drives: up to 16 (four per node)
- Drives per node: 1 x 2.5” SSD, 3 x 2.5” HDD
- Drive capacities
- HDD: 1.2TB (max total 14.4TB)
- SSD for caching: 400GB (max total 1.6TB)
- EMC VSPEX BLUE Manager providing a system health dashboard and support portal
- EMC CloudArray to expand storage capacity into the cloud (license for 1 TB cache and 10 TB cloud storage included)
- VMware vSphere Data Protection Advanced (VDPA) for centralized backup and recovery
- EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines for continuous data protection of VMs. Includes licenses for 15 VMs.
The question still remains. Is your IT infrastructure an Oil Tanker? OR Can you turn on a dime??
How does your IT respond the the ever changing business demands?
Is EVO RAIL for everyone? There are a lot of use cases that EVO RAIL VSPEX BLUE will work perfect for. But, No it isn’t for everyone. BUT what it does is usher in a new consumption of IT that is different manner. You will not have to be provision your datacenter in the same piece meal function. You can commoditize that to a pre-validated solution that is supported by a single vendor.
This graphic has a lot more details than this single blog post can explain! I will try to explain each section that helps to make VSPEX BLUE a different redefined EVO RAIL solution.
EMC VPSEX BLUE MANAGER
– VSPEX BLUE Manager users can conveniently access electronic services, such as the EMC knowledge base articles, access to the VSPEX Community for online and real-time information and EMC VSPEX BLUE best practices.
EMC VPEX BLUE WITH ESRS
– ESRS is a two-way, secure remote connection between your EMC environment and EMC Customer Service that enables remote monitoring, diagnosis, and repair – assuring availability and optimization of your EMC products
*EMC VSPEX BLUE SUPPORT
EMC EMC VSPEX BLUE WITH RECOVERPOINT FOR VMs
– Protects at VM-LEVEL GRANULARITY, OPERATIONAL AND DR AT ANY POINT IN TIME
EMC VSPEX Blue with VDPA and DATA DOMAIN
– Built in Deduplicated Backups, powered by EMC Avamar
EMC VSPEX BLUE & CLOUD ARRAY
– Block and File upto 10 TB FREE. “EMC CloudArray software provided scalable cloud based storage with your choice of many leading cloud providers enabling limitless Network Attached Storage, offsite backup and disaster recovery and the ability to support both Block and File simply”
VSPEX BLUE MARKET
– Built into the VSPEX MANAGER dashboard. This unique feature enables customers to browse complementary EMC and 3rd party products that easily extend the capabilities of the appliance.